Marked by random short splits or ruptures going deep into the o-ring's cross section. When the o-ring is first removed, the surface may also be covered with small blisters.
- Absorption of gas by o-ring while operating in high pressure conditions
- Subsequent rapid decrease in system pressure traps gas within the o-ring's micropores, causing surface blisters and ruptures as the gas escapes
- Increase time for decompression
- Increase material hardness to 80-95 durometer range
- Reduce o-ring cross sectional size
- Specify a decompression resistant material, such as HNBR